American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Direct and without evasion; straightforward: a forthright appraisal; forthright criticism.
- adj. Archaic Proceeding straight ahead.
- adv. Directly ahead.
- adv. Directly and frankly.
- adv. Archaic At once.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Straightforward; honest; direct; immediate: as, a forthright man; a forthright speech.
- n. A straight or direct course.
- Straightforward; in a direct manner; straightway.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Archaic Straight forward; in a straight direction.
- adj. Archaic Direct; straightforward.
- n. Archaic A straight path.
- adj. characterized by directness in manner or speech; without subtlety or evasion
- adv. directly and without evasion; not roundabout
- forth- + right (Wiktionary)
“If someone were honest and forthright from the beginning, no defensive measures would be necessary.”
“I thought about Clinton and how weak of attempt he made when asking for forgiveness and how he was not forthright from the get go in regards to his ex marital affair.”
“When a Law Lord and a Labour MP can demonstrate a better grasp of liberalism and express it in forthright terms, while our parliamentary spokesman ends up batting for the opposition, what hope is there?”
“Why, in a decade when public discourse about sex has become determinedly forthright, is abortion so hard to say?”
“Then he went in forthright to his daughter and her mother and his kinsfolk, and acquainting them with the King of Kabul’s demand sought counsel of them, and they said, ‘Do what seemeth good to thee.’ —”
“Sultan Kanmakan took his sword forthright and cut off his head, saying, “Praised be Allah who hath given me life, that I might requite this traitor what he did with my father, for I have heard this very story from King Zau al-Makan himself.””
“Kanmakan took his sword forthright and cut off his head, saying,”
“But when he ended his words, Sultan Kanmakan took his sword forthright and cut off his head, saying, "Praised be Allah who hath given me life, that I might requite this traitor what he did with my father, for I have heard this very story from King Zau al-Makan himself.”
“The tone of the conversation today was very frank and very forthright, which is as it should be," he added.”
“Petraeus said Mr. Karzai's comments were "forthright" in his statement about the money from Iran, and he added the Iranian payments were very small compared to the financial aid Afghanistan received from the U.S. and other countries.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘forthright’.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for forthright.