American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by or full of force; effective: was persuaded by the forceful speaker to register to vote; enacted forceful measures to reduce drug abuse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessing force; forcible; expressing or representing with, force.
- Impelled by violence; driven with force; acting with power; violent; impetuous.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of or processing force; exerting force; mighty.
- adj. characterized by or full of force or strength (often but not necessarily physical)
- adj. forceful and definite in expression or action
“But Baris stood quietly, his expression forceful, his gaze unblinking when met by Klingon eyes.”
“For the Darwinian and Spencerian motifs are clearly not discussed either in forceful or clear terms, except as London wishes to impress his audience with the plasticity of the individual.”
“It pleaded in forceful terms for respect of the Geneva Convention rights of enemy soldiers, civilians and irregular combatants on the East Front, mustering a series of arguments that bear remarkable similarity to a memorandum sent by Colin Powell to President Bush sixty years later.”
“She had what is sometimes called a forceful personality -- unsmiling, economical in her movements, decisive in her actions.”
“The native lay flat on the bed, breathing in short, forceful gasps.”
“But the Americans wanted something forceful, so they used the Greek word ` bourthes. ”
“Not only were the dissents "forceful" -- aren't they all?”
“Progressives worry Obama may not get another high court pick, and urge him to name a forceful advocate for the left.”
“He flirted with the idea of forceful solutions, as best we know never quite ordering one but directing the security services to prepare options, dropping hints, thinking out loud.”
“Her writing style is very clear and forceful, which is a great skill to have developed – God clearly has given her great dexterity with words.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘forceful’.
Words ending with -ful
A list of traits that I don't like in others.
Words to describe fights
Looking for tweets for forceful.