from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Marked by courage or daring; plucky.
- adj. Slang Robust and uninhibited; lusty: "the gutsy . . . intensity of her musical involvement” ( Judith Crist).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. marked by courage and determination in the face of difficulties or danger; having guts
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. marked by courage and determination in the face of difficulties or danger.
- adj. rough or plain; not sophisticated or refined; earthy. Opposite of
sophisticated, or refined.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by courage and determination in the face of difficulties or danger; robust and uninhibited
Apollo 8 was a grand success based on a very gutsy call, but one person's gutsy is another person's irresponsible.
But having said all of that, this is still a gutsy move by Log Cabin - gutsy because some of their members/funders, according to my sources, are anti-gay gays who care nothing about gay civil rights and everything about protecting George Bush at all costs.
The ad twice calls Harris "gutsy" -- a rather daring euphemism, in our view -- and it slams Nelson as a "do nothing liberal Senator."
The Greek word for gutsy, which is all I remember from translating bits of the Iliad, is thumos.
Nolan then called a gutsy, inventive game - direct snaps to receivers, an onside kick right after halftime, a phony fake punt and two attempted fourth-down conversions when the game still was winnable - yet nothing worked against the Seahawks 'sturdy defense.
Today, Marvel Comics is releasing the first in its miniseries Civil War, which can only be described as a gutsy comic-book series focusing on the whole debate over homeland security and tighter government controls in the name of public safety.
Merchant was actually characterized as gutsy for calling out Mayweather.
It wasn't a gutsy move by Harbaugh, because to call it gutsy would be to imply that he isn't afraid to defy strong 49ers fan sentiment.
The coach who had two extra years tacked onto his contract because of the mess he inherited called a gutsy onsides kick that proved to be a thing of beauty.
Dan is known as a gutsy fighter whose losses in any year can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.