American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One of a pair of long flat runners of plastic, metal, or wood that curve upward in front and may be attached to a boot for gliding or traveling over snow.
- n. A water ski.
- n. Something that is used as a runner on a vehicle: a helicopter with skis for landing on snow and ice.
- v. To travel or glide on skis, especially as a sport.
- v. To travel or glide over on skis: ski a mountain slope.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as skee.
- n. One of a pair of long flat runners designed for gliding over snow.
- v. intransitive To move on skis.
- v. transitive To travel over (a slope etc.) on skis; travel on skis at (a place), especially as a sport.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A long, flat, narrow runner made of wood, plastic or metal, curved upwards in front, having a fitting allowing it to be attached to the foot, and used for gliding or sliding over snow. Commonly used in the plural, to designate the pair.
- v. move along on skis
- n. narrow wood or metal or plastic runners used in pairs for gliding over snow
- From Norwegian ski, related to Old Norse skið ("stick of wood, snowshoe"), from Proto-Germanic *skid- (“to divide, split”), from Proto-Indo-European root *skei- (“to cut, split”) (see also shed). Cognate with Old English scid ("stick of wood") (obsolete English shide), Old High German skit (Modern German Scheit ("log")). (Wiktionary)
- Norwegian, from Old Norse skīdh, stick, snowshoe; see skei- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We use the term ski mask, which may not be poetic but does at least have the virtue of clarity.”
“I to at first thought he was a little psycho for fishing off of that thing until I met him at the boat ramp one day and realized that his ski is the absolute biggest one I have ever seen.”
“Older viewers will happily recall that for them "ski" is an acronym for spending the kids 'inheritance.”
“Serbian soccer supporters, some dressed in ski-masks, rioted by setting off fireworks, throwing flares onto the field and cutting up goal nets.”
“Heavenly Mountain ski resort plans upgrades despite recession”
“Heavenly Mountain ski resort plans upgrades despite recession - USATODAY. com”
“At the backcountry Silverton Mountain ski area in a snow-filled gulch sits a perfectly sculpted, 500-foot long, 22-foot deep halfpipe.”
“There were some unlucky things happening with my other races, but I really feel like sometimes, in ski racing especially, luck just has to be on your side.”
“If I ever get back into saltwater fishing again the jet ski is the way I'm heading.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ski’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
A list of English words that are three letters long.
the good ole boys of the nyt crossword puzzle
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for ski.