American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To fail to correspond: our figures disagree. See Synonyms at differ.
- v. To have a differing opinion: She disagrees with him on everything. They say it will rain, but I disagree.
- v. To dispute or quarrel.
- v. To cause adverse effects: Caffeine disagrees with me.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To differ; be not the same or alike; be variant; not to accord or harmonize: as, two ideas or two statements disagree when they are not substantially identical, or when they are not exactly alike; the witnesses disagree.
- To differ in opinion; be at variance; express contrary views: as, the best judges sometimes disagree.
- To be in a state of discord or altercation; wrangle; quarrel.
- To conflict in action or effect; be incompatible or unsuitable: as, food that disagrees with the stomach. Synonyms To vary (from).
- v. intransitive To not agree (harmonize).
- v. intransitive To not agree (conform, correspond).
- v. intransitive To not agree (suit).
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To fail to accord; not to agree; to lack harmony; to differ; to be unlike; to be at variance.
- v. To differ in opinion; to hold discordant views; to be at controversy; to quarrel.
- v. To be unsuited; to have unfitness
- v. be different from one another
- v. be of different opinions
- From Middle English, from Anglo-Norman desagreer, as if dis- + agree. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English disagreen, from Old French desagreer : des-, dis- + agreer, to agree; see agree. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If you left him in there the entire game, then the last drive should have been no different, and whether you agree or disagree is immaterial.”
“Whether I agree or disagree is unimportant to your point.”
“Where I disagree is that this data purports to be data that tracks spending to the last dime.”
“Where Dennis Wingo and I disagree is whether EELV or ELV approach is adequate or whether a heavy lifter is necessary to accomplish this lunar based infrastructure development.”
“As a veteran, a soon-to-be law student, and a daily reader of this blog, the discussions of the legality of this new type of warfare are far more interesting to me than the mistakes and spoils of (almost) conventional warfare, to which no intellectually honest person would disagree is difficult to manage and even harder to analyze in the moment.”
“I can't tell from here whether we just plain disagree here or whether you wouldn't know mine had milk in them from biting into one.”
“If the reason why economists and the public disagree is that their interests diverge, then we should be able to make the disagreement vanish by statistically controlling for differences in interests.”
“Where we at least seem to disagree is over whether the death bed activities, under the circumstances I describe, really are "signs of repentance", rather than merely taken as such signs for the purposes of getting the man a church funeral.”
“Even Ann Coulter implied that cold blooded murder was OK as long as someone with whom you disagree is the one killed.”
“This finding hate everywhere among those who disagree is getting pretty tiring, and harms any argument.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disagree’.
Definition Many of these can also be dynamic.
Please just list bare infinitives to keep the list wieldy. Perhaps a tag (e.g., “stative”) would be sufficient for participles.)
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for disagree.