American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- The symbol for the element boron.
- The symbol for magnetic flux density.
- abbr. baryon number
- abbr. Baseball base
- abbr. Music bass
- abbr. billion.
- abbr. bishop (chess)
- n. The second letter of the English alphabet, called bee and written in the Latin script.
- n. The ordinal number second, derived from this letter of the English alphabet, called bee and written in the Latin script.
- n. The second letter of the basic modern Latin alphabet.
- abbr. cricket the number of balls faced by a batsman
- abbr. The quantity one billion (1,000,000,000), usually used to signify a sum of money
- abbr. UK The grade of pencil that makes darker marks than grade HB but lighter marks than grade 2B; a pencil with soft lead.
- abbr. chess Bishop
- n. A personality type of someone who is relaxed and easygoing and able to engage in leisure activities without worrying about work.
- n. An academic grade, better than a C and worse than an A
- n. Signifies a second-tier or second class of a given commodity, group, or category, as in B-movie, B-list, etc.
- n. Alternate or secondary part, as the back side of a phonograph record. Contrasted with A, which is the primary part.
- n. music The seventh note in the C major scale.
- n. computing byte
- n. A blood type that has a specific antigen that aggravates the immune response in people with type A antigen in their blood. They can receive blood from type B or type O, but cannot receive blood from AB or A.
- n. chemistry The symbol for boron.
- n. computing Hexadecimal symbol for 11.
- n. biochemistry IUPAC 1-letter abbreviation for either glutamine or glutamic acid
- From Ancient Greek letter Β (B, "Beta"). (Wiktionary)
“While Brooks gave highest marks to ABC ( "A"), Clinton a "B," and Obama a "D+," I'm scoring ABC with a C -, Clinton a B -, and Obama to B-- he'd get a B+ for not losing his temper, if I practiced grade inflation.”
“So far, at least 16 genes have been identified encoding 4 subfamilies of the regulatory subunits: B, B′, B″ and B′″”
“ She earned a B, a B+, a grudging A -; her grammar improved as she read and worked in her other classes.”
“If he were a teacher, and not a senior White House adviser and the towering former chairman of the Federal Reserve, he says, he would have given the new rules just an ordinary B-- not even a B-plus.”
“Overall, I would grade our outlook a B/B+, but lean towards the B+.”
“If he were a teacher, and not a senior White House adviser and the towering former chairman of the Federal Reserve, he says, he would have given the new rules just an ordinary B -- not even a B-plus.”
“Maryland received a B in K-12 achievement, school financing and "the teaching profession;" a B+ in standards, assessments and accountability as well as in the category "chance for success.”
“I liked them all very much, although There Will Be Blood curves towards the bottom of the scale with a grade of B while Hard Eight and Boogie Nights hover about the A- / B+ range, so I figured maybe I had just been having a bad day with Magnolia.”
“VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Scott Ritter: Barack Obama, Meet Team B'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Team B doesnt produce intelligence, but rather ideological assertions used as justification for policy.”
“Meanwhile, after the attack Basnet was rushed to B& B hospital at Satdobato, Lalitpur, where he was treated for the gunshot wounds and now is in a recovering state.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘B’.
dis iz y u cant spel
I recently had a discussion with my family on the sex of language. So I was just wondering about y'all's opinions on the gender/sex of American English letters.
Life is full of tests and challenges--with our busy schedules, it can be hard to find the time to study. Are you a student bombarded by a pop quiz? A witness testifying about that industrial accide...
See also The Phonetic alphabet by oroboros.
Looking for tweets for B.