American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Mythology A male figure in Polynesian myth, sometimes identified as the first man.
- n. A wooden or stone image of a Polynesian god.
- n. A Maori figurine representing an ancestor, often intricately carved from greenstone and worn about the neck as a talisman.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Polynesian deity, generally regarded as the creator of man.
- n. [lowercase] A carved image or representation of the god Tiki, especially one of the large carved wooden pillars set up at the tombs of chiefs and infltiential men.
- From Maori tiki. (Wiktionary)
- Maori. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I was amused by the nicknames given to players by the now deceased Spanish commentator Andres Montes who coined the term "tiki taca" for Spain's possession heavy, passing style," writes Ryan Jacob.”
“This was either copy and pasted or tiki is playing around posting as casemods.”
“Log in to Reply nyokki (UID#3444) on September 1st, 2009 at 10: 54 pm tiki is our god and sometimes it pleases him to inflict upon us; Theme Day.”
“on May 27th, 2009 at 4:31 pm tiki, is English your second language?”
“It's what the Spanish call tiki-taka, what the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, describes as "football that is like art.”
“And grinding down the pace to treacle was the strategy for this match, a tactic that effectively confounded Spain's dizzying passing proficiency, the crisp tic-tac-toe known as tiki taka.”
“Depending where you go, "tiki" is a first-man character, a male fertility symbol, and/or a collective noun for that sort of mythic character and its figural representation.”
“With temperatures in DC hovering in the high 90's, it's hard to believe anyone would want to brave the weather to sit at an outside "tiki" bar.”
“Schweinsteiger, Thomas Müller and Mesut özil producing the kind of tiki-taka passing patterns that Spain would be grateful for in Johannesburg tonight.”
“Doors open at 6 p.m. for an evening that includes a fresh flower or kukui nut lei greeting, a welcome mai tai, cultural activities such as tiki carving, lei making and lauhala weaving, the lu'au-style dinner buffet, two drinks and the show, which wraps up at 8:15.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tiki’.
Maori, weve had a influx since
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words of more than one syllable that include no schwas in their pronunciation.
(Note for pedants: some of these words have more than one pronunciation. As long as just one of the possi...
Looking for tweets for tiki.