American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The second letter of the modern English alphabet.
- n. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter b.
- n. The second in a series.
- n. Something shaped like the letter B.
- n. The second best or second highest in quality or rank: a mark of B on an English theme.
- n. Music The seventh tone in the scale of C major or the second tone in the relative minor scale.
- n. Music A key or scale in which B is the tonic.
- n. Music A written or printed note representing this tone.
- n. Music A string, key, or pipe tuned to the pitch of this tone.
- n. One of the four major blood groups in the ABO system. Individuals with this blood group have the B antigen on the surface of their red blood cells, and the anti-A antibody in their blood serum.
- abbr. Physics barn
- abbr. bel.
- abbr. bottom quark
- abbr. breadth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The second letter in order in the English alphabet, as it was in the Phenician, and has been in most other alphabets derived from the Phenician. (See A.) The name of the Phenician character was beth, meaning house; from this comes the Greek name, beta. The Phenician beth, with some early Greek and Latin forms of
b, and with the ancient Egyptian characters, hieratic and hieroglyphic, from which the others are by many authorities supposed to be ultimately derived, are given below: P.) B has nothing of that variety of pronunciation shown by most English letters; but it is sometimes silent, as when final after m, in lamb, limb, tomb, thumb, and in a few other cases, as debt, doubt. In most of these cases b is a modern graphic insertion, and was never pronounced (in the English forms); e.g., limb, thumb, debt, doubt. In the fundamental or Germanic part of our language a b comes from a more original aspirate found in Sanskrit as bh, in Greek as φ(ph), in Latin usually as feminine Examples are: E. brother = Skt. bhrātar = Gr. φράτηρ= Latin frater; English bear (v.) = Skt. √ bhar = Gr. φέρειν= Latin ferre. With the English b corresponds that of most of the other Germanic dialects. In the original Indo-European or Aryan language b was nearly or altogether wanting.
- As a numeral, B was used by the Hebrews and Greeks, as now by the Arabians, for 2.
- As a symbol: In music, the seventh tone, or “leading tone,” of the model diatonic scale, or scale of C. B was the last tone to be adopted into the modern major scale. It was the first note to be modified by lowering its pitch a semitone; its two forms, the b rotundum or B flat (♭) and the b quadratum or B natural (♮) (see below), afterward became conventional signs which were applied as accidentals to all the notes of the scale. See
accidental, n., 1. In Italian and French the same note is called si. In German use B denotes B flat, while B natural is represented by H, and is called ha.
- In chem., the symbol of boron.
- In ornithology, the accessory femorocaudal muscle, one of the chief classificatory muscles of the leg.
- In mathematics, see A, 2 .
- In abstract reasoning, suppositions, etc., the second or other person or thing mentioned: as, if A strike B.
- In general, the second in any series: as, Company B (of a regiment), schedule B, etc.; in the form b, or b, the second column of a page, in a book printed in columns.
- As an abbreviation, B. stands for— Bachelor (or Middle Latin Baccalaureus), in B. A. or A. B., B. C. E., B. D., B. L., B. M., etc. See these abbreviations. In dates, before, as in B. C. or B. C., and born, as in b. 1813. In a ship's log-book, in the form b., blue sky. In hydrometric measurements, Baumé: as, 8° B. See Baumé's hydrometer, under hydrometer. Also Bé.
- n. The second letter of the basic modern Latin alphabet.
- n. voiced bilabial plosive
- n. The second letter of the English alphabet, called bee and written in the Latin script.
- n. The ordinal number second, derived from this letter of the English alphabet, called bee and written in the Latin script.
- abbr. Alternative form of b..
- n. astronomy latitude in the galactic coordinate system
- n. physics barn
- n. computing bit
- n. cricket bye
GNU Webster's 1913
- is the second letter of the English alphabet. (See
Guide to Pronunciation, §§ 196, 220.) It is etymologically related to p, v, f, w, and m, letters representing sounds having a close organic affinity to its own sound; as in Eng. bursar and purser; Eng. bear and Lat. ferre; Eng. sil ver and Ger. sil ber; Lat. cu bitum and It. go mito; Eng. se ven, Anglo-Saxon seo fon, Ger. sie ben, Lat. se ptem, Gr."epta`, Sanskrit sa ptan. The form of letter B is Roman, from the Greek B ( Beta), of Semitic origin. The small b was formed by gradual change from the capital B.
- n. aerobic rod-shaped spore-producing bacterium; often occurring in chainlike formations; found primarily in soil
- n. the blood group whose red cells carry the B antigen
- n. originally thought to be a single vitamin but now separated into several B vitamins
- n. the 2nd letter of the Roman alphabet
- n. a logarithmic unit of sound intensity equal to 10 decibels
- n. a trivalent metalloid element; occurs both in a hard black crystal and in the form of yellow or brown powder
- n. (physics) a unit of nuclear cross section; the effective circular area that one particle presents to another as a target for an encounter
- Modification of capital letter B by dropping its upper loop, from Greek letter Β (B, "Beta"). (Wiktionary)
“The division-frame itself is closed by having two sheets of zinc run into it as shown in fig. 2, the one marked _b b b b_, and partly drawn out, being of solid sheet zinc; and _a a_, the other in the frame, of perforated zinc; _d_, being the screw-nut (like those in the bee-frames) by means of which it can be drawn out into the observation-frame, &c.”
“Or again, he noticed that if b is the length of the side of a square, then b² represents its area, and b³ the volume of the cube with edge equal to b.”
“Demz b speshul sunglarsis wif teh mirrer sew u cna sii hoo is following u n teh blak van…..b caerful!”
“˜The boy sang™ is simply ˜Sang (b)™, where ˜b™ is a an unstructured symbol that stands for the boy in question (and presents him in a certain way).”
“« M pm (s, t | a, b ) (st ) dÏ and likewise when (a, b²),”
“When the wave is switched off, the photon propagates in the zeroth order of diffraction to polarization analyzers respectively oriented at angles a and b, and when it is switched on the photons propagate in the first order of diffraction to polarization analyzers respectively oriented at angles a² and b².”
“Different experiments can be performed on each system, those on 1 designated by a, a², etc. and those on 2 by b, b², etc.”
“Nevertheless, in a suitable conversational setting, the phrases (b) and (b²) can be properly used to designate any of the three events: the act that turned on the light, the onset of illumination in the light, and whole process whereby the light has come to be turned on.”
“But we can see that the number of chains in which b is combined with a is equal to the number of chains in which b is not combined with a. In fact we have that P (b | a) = P (~b | ~a) =”
“The plates themselves are shaped as depicted in Fig. 55, _a, b, c, a_ and _b_ curved to meet the outlines of the shoe, and _c_ shaped so as to wedge tightly over the posterior ends of the side plates, and between them and the shoe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘b’.
The last time someone tried this theme, it was a closed list with only two words; time to make amends. Scripting languages, etc. are also fair game...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
See also The Phonetic alphabet by oroboros.
Name Sym # Wt
actinium Ac 89 (227)
aluminum Al 13 26.98
americium Am 95 (243)
antimony Sb 51 121.7
argon Ar 18 39.94
arsenic As 33 74.92
A list of all the HTML tags.
a list of words related to technology
terms of endearment - this list is rated X.
( personal list, randomness )
sweetie pants, big mamma biscuit, sugar pants, cheese tits, honey poo, pussy lips, snuggly poo, sweetpea, sugar tits, fuck puppet, sex slave, sleepy head and 44 more...
Looking for tweets for b.