American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being or serving as a guardian or protector: tutelary gods.
- adj. Of or relating to a guardian or guardianship.
- n. One that serves as a guardian or protector.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tutelary divinity; an animal regarded as a tutelary divinity: as, Anubis, the tutelary of sepulchers.
- Same as tutelar.
- adj. Having guardianship or protection.
- adj. Of or pertaining to guardians
- adj. Having the qualities of a tutor.
- n. A guardian or protector
- adj. providing protective supervision; watching over or safeguarding
- From the Latin tutelarius "guardian" from tutela "protection" (Wiktionary)
- From Latin tūtēlārius, guardian, from tūtēla, tutelage; see tutelage. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The social motives may be called tutelary, as tending to restrain from mischievous intentions; but any motive may become tutelary on occasion.”
“But we stayed not here to see the sights -- not even the droll little statue of the Mannikin (at the corner of a street, in a most improper attitude; and there is a Group quite as unseemly in one of the Markets, so I was told, although at that time we were fain to pass them by), which Mannikin the burgesses of Bruxelles regard as a kind of tutelary Divinity, and set much greater store by than do we by our London Stone, or Little Naked Boy in Panyer Alley.”
“He makes the various threats be they windmills or Inquisition torture seem real and inevitable while making the whimsical and, ultimately, delusional escapades seem possible, tutelary, and entertaining.”
“Wheeler has become a tutelary figure and almost mythic in her memory.”
“But when school administrators restrict speech, acting in their tutelary and managerial capacity, they get more leeway (indeed, I would argue a bit too much leeway).”
“A succession of directors have brought together an array of materials that reflected the mind-set of its tutelary spirit.”
“The Gelug tradition has the Six-Armed Mahakala as a tutelary deity.”
“What sort of a tutelary protector for the Gelug is it that one has to conceal when a Kagyu Lama arrives?”
“Anyway, the point is; the real tutelary deities of the Gelug are those that have been appointed to the task after the ordering and assigning process approved by Je Rinpoche.”
“These three are tutelary deities found within the Gelug tradition.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tutelary’.
new words or spelling issues
Words taken from I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
The path meanders through the vineyards
relating to; like; thing/person connected to
... as in "by James Joyce"
My fancies, my cudgels.
Got unknown words randomly
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for tutelary.