from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being or serving as a guardian or protector: tutelary gods.
- adj. Of or relating to a guardian or guardianship.
- n. One that serves as a guardian or protector.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having guardianship or protection.
- adj. Of or pertaining to guardians
- adj. Having the qualities of a tutor.
- n. A guardian or protector
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as tutelar.
- n. A tutelary divinity; an animal regarded as a tutelary divinity: as, Anubis, the tutelary of sepulchers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. providing protective supervision; watching over or safeguarding
The social motives may be called tutelary, as tending to restrain from mischievous intentions; but any motive may become tutelary on occasion.
But we stayed not here to see the sights -- not even the droll little statue of the Mannikin (at the corner of a street, in a most improper attitude; and there is a Group quite as unseemly in one of the Markets, so I was told, although at that time we were fain to pass them by), which Mannikin the burgesses of Bruxelles regard as a kind of tutelary Divinity, and set much greater store by than do we by our London Stone, or Little Naked Boy in Panyer Alley.
He makes the various threats be they windmills or Inquisition torture seem real and inevitable while making the whimsical and, ultimately, delusional escapades seem possible, tutelary, and entertaining.
Wheeler has become a tutelary figure and almost mythic in her memory.
But when school administrators restrict speech, acting in their tutelary and managerial capacity, they get more leeway (indeed, I would argue a bit too much leeway).
A succession of directors have brought together an array of materials that reflected the mind-set of its tutelary spirit.
The Gelug tradition has the Six-Armed Mahakala as a tutelary deity.
What sort of a tutelary protector for the Gelug is it that one has to conceal when a Kagyu Lama arrives?
Anyway, the point is; the real tutelary deities of the Gelug are those that have been appointed to the task after the ordering and assigning process approved by Je Rinpoche.
These three are tutelary deities found within the Gelug tradition.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.