from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A presiding divinity or spirit of a place.
- n. A spirit believed by animists to inhabit certain natural phenomena or objects.
- n. Creative energy; genius.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a divinity, especially a local or presiding god
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Divinity; deity; godhead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spirit believed to inhabit an object or preside over a place (especially in ancient Roman religion)
Latin nūmen, nod of the head, divine power, numen.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)