American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the work of guarding or maintaining: the custodial duties of a security guard.
- adj. Having custody, especially of a child: "children whose custodial parent has remarried” ( American Demographics).
- adj. Of or relating to child custody: custodial households.
- adj. Marked by care and supervision rather than efforts to cure: custodial treatment of terminal patients.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or of the nature of custody or guardianship.
- n. Same as custodia. C. Reade.
- adj. Providing protection, care, supervision or guarding
- adj. Of, pertaining to or providing custody, especially of a child
- adj. Providing punishment by incarceration
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Relating to custody or guardianship.
- adj. providing protective supervision; watching over or safeguarding
- From custody + -al; confer French custodial. (Wiktionary)
“BNY Mellon provided the pension funds with what are known as "custodial" and back-office financial services.”
“[O] nce defendant was physically taken into custody and handcuffed, the potential for coercion was as great as that which inheres in custodial interrogation by a police officer, and ... administration of the Miranda warnings was required to dispel that potential coercion in order for defendant's statement to be admissible in a criminal trial.”
“The right way is called the custodial account; the wrong way is to do what all too many parents and grandparents do—open a joint account.”
“Mr Thornhill said: We feel very strongly that short term custodial sentences must be available and available for those who continue to offend, particularly violent offences.”
“One main issue was short-term custodial sentencing.”
“But whilst short-term custodial sentences are still part of statute they are a proper sentence and it is the responsibility of governors to apply the sentence imposed by the court.”
“Typically, James would be given a detention and training order (DTO), in other words a custodial sentence, for around four months.”
“It is high time that the government looked again at its ineffective policies on short-term custodial sentences, indeterminate sentences and Titan prisons.”
“It is high time that the Government looked again at its ineffective policies on short-term custodial sentences, indeterminate sentences and Titan prisons.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘custodial’.
Looking for tweets for custodial.