American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Adapted or intended to afford protection.
- n. Something that protects.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Affording protection; sheltering; defensive.
- Adapted or intended to afford protection: as, a protective measure; affording protection to commodities of home production: as, a protective tariff; protective taxes.
- n. That which protects; something adapted to afford protection.
- n. In surgery, carbolized oiled silk applied over wounds for the exclusion of pathogenic bacteria.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Affording protection; sheltering; defensive.
- adj. intended or adapted to afford protection of some kind
- adj. (usually followed by `of') solicitously caring or mindful
- adj. showing care
“The aim should be to aggressively create what he calls a "protective barrier" against loneliness.”
“MIKE BROOKS, FORMER D.C. POLIC., C.N LAW ENFORC.MENT ANALYST: That ` s exactly right, Nancy, because he was in what they call protective custody.”
“If he goes life without parole, he will be in a level three or level four prison probably in a special needs yard, which is what they call protective custody.”
“It taps into what we identify as protective factors, especially in terms of intergenerational relationships, " he said.”
“For Generation X members, "protective" is the key word to their parenting, largely because their families were less stable amid escalating divorce, says Nancy Robinson, a consumer strategist at consumer research company Iconoculture in Minneapolis.”
“Firemen in protective suits clear up the residue of the toxic leak.”
“Firemen in protective clothing and breathing apparatus carried out a full search of the area, and the cause of the incident was determined to be Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, who was giving a speech on Parliamentary reform in a nearby building.”
“Workers in protective garb used earth-moving equipment to dig channels in an effort to drain what was left of the slurry.”
“The Team B warn darkly about a very “determined and effective Soviet civil defense effort” including “emphasis on the training of civilian personnel of all ages in protective measures to include practice evacuations of heavily populated areas”.”
“Quoks - Yes, I was thinking of suggesting claret coloured clothing all round - everyone in protective gear.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘protective’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Our class list of adjectives for Henry's Ma.
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for protective.