from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Looking back on, contemplating, or directed to the past.
- adj. Looking or directed backward.
- adj. Applying to or influencing the past; retroactive.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a retrospective: a retrospective art exhibition.
- n. An exhibition or performance of works produced by an artist over a considerable period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or contemplating the past
- adj. looking backwards
- adj. affecting or influencing past things; retroactive
- n. an exhibition of works from an extended period of an artist's activity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Looking backward; contemplating things past; -- opposed to
- adj. Having reference to what is past; affecting things past; retroactive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Looking backward; considering the past.
- In law, retroactive; affecting matters which occurred before it was adopted: as, a retrospective act, law, or statute.
- Capable of being looked back to; occurring in the past; bygone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concerned with or related to the past
- n. an exhibition of a representative selection of an artist's life work
retrospect+-ive. from Latin retrospectare (Wiktionary)