American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Performed with haste and scant attention to detail: a cursory glance at the headlines.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Running about; not stationary.
- In entomology, adapted for running, as the feet of many terrestrial beetles; cursorial.
- Hasty; slight; superficial; careless; not exercising or receiving close attention: as, a cursory reader; a cursory view.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Running about; not stationary.
- adj. Characterized by haste; hastily or superficially performed; slight; superficial; careless.
- adj. hasty and without attention to detail; not thorough
- From Latin cursorius (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin cursōrius, of running, from Latin cursor, runner; see cursor. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Principal Steve Perry doesn't believe in cursory inspections.”
“Giving a detailed answer to all of them, even in cursory fashion, would make a small volume.”
“Indeed, most of the instances of the term a cursory Google search of whitehouse. gov uncovers come in questions from the media”
“The vast majority of them are illiterate and slap on a uniform after receiving what can only charitably be described as cursory instruction in military tactics and the handling of an assault rifle.”
“The students were asked to sign what was described as a cursory three-page consent form.”
“Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 09: 59: 47 AM EDT wrote this morning what could generously be described as a cursory look at the Indiana Toll Road, hesitating just long enough from a wide-eyed respect of Gov.”
“Sen. Patrick Leahy said the decision constituted a 'default of U.S. leadership' and charged that it appeared to be based on a review that 'can only be described as cursory and half-hearted'.”
“Ellis agrees that "that sequence does seem kind of cursory" – but only, he goes on, because Clay is so numbly affectless that even rape and torture would look banal to him.”
“Mr. Cook played better than he has ever done for England, dominating as he rarely has before, passing 150 and 200 with the kind of cursory celebrations that indicated he was intent on scoring, as he put it, a daddy hundred.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cursory’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
My list of words.
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for cursory.