American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. Without preparation or forethought; extemporaneously.
- adj. Performed or expressed without preparation or forethought. See Synonyms at extemporaneous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- At once; without deliberation or premeditation; without previous preparation or practice.
- From the hand; without the support of a rest.
- Without study or premeditation; impromptu: as, an offhand remark; an offhand speech.
- Free and easy; unstudied or unconventional: as, an offhand manner.
- adj. without planning or thinking ahead
- adj. careless; without sufficient thought or consideration
- adj. curt, abrupt, unfriendly
- adv. right away, immediately, without thinking about it
- adv. in an offhand manner
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. forthwith; without delay, hesitation, or difficulty; promptly.
- prep. See Offhand.
- adj. Instant; unprepared; ready; extemporaneous; unrehearsed.
- adv. without preparation
- adv. in a casually inconsiderate manner
- adj. with little or no preparation or forethought
- adj. casually thoughtless or inconsiderate
- adv. without previous thought or preparation
- From Middle English *ofhande, *ofhende, from Old English ofhende ("absent, lost"), equivalent to off- + hand. Cognate with Icelandic afhendur. Compare onhand. (Wiktionary)
“Can’t think of the title offhand, but it’s definitely on my list.”
“The only answer I can think of offhand is the bond market & those who have an interest in fixed incomes since inflation would be painful for both.”
“The only answer I can think of offhand is the bond market”
“The best example I can think of offhand is from Michael Marshall Smith's Only Forward.”
“I'm thinking shooting offhand is true love and a sandbag is a one night stand.”
“Shooting offhand is a humbling experience, it's much more fun to shoot tiny groups but it has little to do with hunting unless you're out west with your rifle laid on a bedroll.”
“While standing offhand is my best position I can't hit a thing with this particular gun beyond 40 yd because it is so light.”
“You wouldn't know his name offhand, but he wrote and executive-produced my favorite episode of my favorite TV show of all time.”
“Almost everyone had him on the wish-list I can't remember his name offhand as Pycelle too.”
“The only one I can think of offhand is "Charlotte's Web" ( "Now I'm the one who's caught in ...") by the Statler Brothers. posted by Roger Sutton at 10: 19 AM”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘offhand’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
List of words and phrases referring to the hand, hands, fist, or derivatives of the Latin manus, beginning with left-handed.
My big word list.
( personal list )
related (from me):
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for offhand.