American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Preserved and sealed in a can or jar.
- adj. Informal Recorded or taped for repeated use on television or radio: canned laughter.
- adj. Informal Used repeatedly with little or no change: a canned speech.
- adj. Informal Totally unoriginal; devoid of individuality: "Most [soundtrack albums] contain homogenized dance tracks that provide little more than canned excitement” ( Boston Globe).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Packed in cans or tin boxes.
- adj. Preserved in cans.
- adj. slang Drunk.
- adj. Previously prepared; not fresh or new; standardized, mass produced, or lacking originality or customization.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of can.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Recorded; in contrast with
live; -- used of sound or video broadcasts.
- adj. Sealed in a can or jar.
- adj. sealed in a can or jar
- adj. recorded for broadcast
“My mother's mid-20th-century aesthetic prompted her to keep a pantry well-stocked with evaporated milk, which she called "canned cream.”
“Add the canned tomatoes and fry -- briefly if using roasted but longer, maybe 10 minutes, if using plain canned tomatoes.”
“I will poach two gently in canned broth with some sliced onions and garlic cloves for about half an hour.”
“That is the flavor profile component you're missing and it's often found in canned cherry pie filling NOB.”
“I use it a lot to mix in canned tuna for tuna salad sandwiches too.”
“Del Monte Foods makes namesake and private label canned fruit products.”
“When confronted head on, enemies blocked nearly every attack I threw at them, forcing me to quietly webswing from above, until I could drop in for stealth takeouts, which played out in short, canned cut-away shots.”
“It also supplies private label canned meats to retail and foodservice customers.”
“Ralphs Food Drive Fridays: Guests must bring five Ralphs private label canned products Fridays for a free Fair admission good that day only, noon - 6 p.m. only.”
“a joint manufacture certain products in the United States for export venture with Co-op de Pau for the production of Green Giant internationally, primarily in Caribbean and Latin American canned corn in France. markets.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘canned’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
mostly from magoosh
a list of words from the indo european root ar- and variations : to fit together
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
Euphemisms for drunkenness dating back to the 18th century.
Looking for tweets for canned.