from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Remaining as an unused portion or amount.
- n. A remnant or an unused portion.
- n. Food remaining from a previous meal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Remaining; left behind; extra; in reserve.
- adj. Remaining after a meal is complete or eaten for a later meal or snack.
- n. Something left behind; an excess or remainder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. not used up; remaining after use of part.
- adj. remaining from a previous meal; -- of food.
- n. An unused part or portion; -- used especially of food remaining uneaten from a previous meal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not used up
- adj. not used up
- n. a small part or portion that remains after the main part no longer exists
P.S., note how about 90% of the so-called political commentators and “analysts” on cable TV are right-wing Republicans leftover from the Nixon regime, the Reagan regime and the Bush regimes?
I also engaged in leftover salvage to make twice-cooked pasta and a veggie cheese sauce.
You can probably trace this to a lot of things at the time: emerging technology and the 3D rat race where everyone is showing off their tech prowess in centimeters and not yards; the assumption leftover from the sparsely-populated 8-bit days that the consumer would spend at least all month with a single game ...
The bottom layer, the beef stew, is usually a leftover from the night before.
Kennewick Man may represent a resurgence of some recessive traits leftover from the Americas 'sundadonty days, or may represent an individual of a heretofore unknown isolated remnant population of sundadonts.
PennsylvaniaThe $2.14 million in leftover funding is being awarded to consumers who got on a waiting list for rebates on water heaters, furnaces, and boilers.
"That thing was so bad it looked like a leftover from a Sarah Palin Halloween costume," retorts Hadley.
The government's been working on an austerity program for months in an effort to plug a huge budget deficit leftover from the global financial crisis.
By a roadside in Lordsburg a ragged billboard stood; a leftover from the election, it had been affixed with crude, handmade lettering exhorting passersby to “VOTE DEMOCRATIC”.
The whole incubator idea is a sorry leftover from the Internet bubble.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.