from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something remaining after removal of a part; a residue.
- n. Law See residue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The solid material remaining after the liquid in which it was dissolved has been evaporated; a residue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is left after any process of separation or purification; that which remains after certain specified deductions are made; residue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which is left after any process; that which remains; a residue.
- n. Specifically, in late, that part of an estate which is left after the payment of charges, debts, and particular bequests; more strictly, the part so left which is effectively disposed of by a residuary clause.
- n. In geology, the insoluble remainder left behind during processes of rock-weathering by the removal of the soluble portion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something left after other parts have been taken away
Latin, residue; see residue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)