American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Standing out among others of its kind; prominent. See Synonyms at noticeable.
- adj. Superior to others of its kind; distinguished.
- adj. Projecting upward or outward; standing out.
- adj. Still in existence; not settled or resolved: outstanding debts; a long outstanding problem.
- adj. Publicly issued and sold: outstanding stocks and bonds.
- adj. prominent or noticeable; standing out from others
- adj. exceptionally good; distinguished from others by its superiority
- adj. projecting outwards
- adj. unresolved; not settled or finished
- adj. owed as a debt
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. That stands out; undischarged; uncollected; not paid.
- adj. Conspicuously excellent; markedly superior; distinguished.
- adj. So prominent so as to attract notice; conspicuous; usually but not always in a good sense.
- adj. of major significance or importance
- adj. distinguished from others in excellence
- adj. owed as a debt
- adj. having a quality that thrusts itself into attention
- From outstand, equivalent to out- + standing. (Wiktionary)
“Under Macy's previous sales training program, associates were given scripted steps in making a sale, such as "smile," "thank the customer," and "always say the word 'outstanding.”
“The University of Pretoria is to confer an honorary doctorate on President Nelson Mandela for what it describes as his outstanding contribution to the well-being of South Africa and humanity this century.”
“An Inspector in the Wetlands Management Department of Nema, Joseph Ogwal, recently told journalists that the residents resisted the eviction because they had been told not to vacate by the Resident District Commissioner for Nakawa, Mr Fred Bamwine, who reportedly said he intervened to address what he called outstanding issues.”
“RPGMapShare: A free collection of maps, sure, but what makes this site really outstanding is the enormous amount of high-grade map tiles with which to make your own.”
“There are more than $1.3 trillion in outstanding mortgage-backed securities in which the mortgages are not backed by the federal government, Inside Mortgage Finance data show.”
“He is not eligible to receive public matching funds because he owes the city's Campaign Finance Board $5,040 in outstanding penalties from a previous campaign.”
“He was outstanding from the get-go," Baltimore's Ty Wigginton (FSY) said.”
“In Ireland, where the government is struggling to manage Anglo Irish Banks 'euro72 billion ($97 billion) in outstanding debts, protesters drove a truck into the parliament's gates.”
“But Barofsky reported that as of Sept. 30, $178.4 billion of TARP funds remain outstanding, with another $80 billion "still obligated and available for spending" under current programs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘outstanding’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
impressive growth..., outstanding, significant, a humble person -..., excessive working..., а whopping size -..., a consolation pri..., -------, RETAIL RENAISSANCE, an ignominious en..., a bold experiment..., а сonventional ba... and 7 more...
impressive growth, significant, outstanding, an AILING person ..., sick, a HUMBLE person -..., DISARMING critics..., VAIN - напрасный,..., unavailing, IGNOMINOUS - пост..., shameful, ignoble and 34 more...
impressive growth..., outstanding, significant, an ailing person ..., sick, a tough test - сл..., a humble person -..., excessive working..., promptly - быстро, readily, subsequently - вп..., at a later time and 10 more...
Impressive growth..., outstanding, significant, an ailing person ..., sick, a humble person -..., excessive hours -..., extreme, enourmous, a publicised tour..., advertised, undue - чрезмерный and 5 more...
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
The Velvetine Ruffians
Looking for tweets for outstanding.