from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Requiring payment on a certain date; due.
- adj. Requiring payment to a particular person or entity.
- adj. Capable of producing profit: a payable business venture.
- n. Money owed to a creditor. Often used in the plural: tried to balance inventory, payables, and receivables.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Debts owed by a business; liabilities.
- n. A thing that may be paid.
- adj. That which is to be paid.
- adj. Able to be paid.
- adj. Of a mine etc.: capable of yielding profit; profitable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That may, can, or should be paid; suitable to be paid; justly due.
- adj. That may be discharged or settled by delivery of value.
- adj. Matured; now due.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That can be paid, or is to be paid; capable of being paid.
- To be paid; due: as, bills payable; homage or allegiance payable to the sovereign.
- Profitable; likely to be profitable or to pay: as, payable rock, gravel, quartz, etc., meaning yielding or likely to yield gold; a payable enterprise, one yielding or likely to yield profit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a liability account showing how much is owed for goods and services purchased on credit
- adj. subject to or requiring payment especially as specified
2,000 0.58 1,160 Total assets $2,600 $1,544 Accounts payable$ $ 400 0.66 $ 264 Notes payable
I had a letter of credit in my possession for the sum of five thousand rupees, payable from the public treasuries of Lodiana or Delhi; and the Cabool merchants did not hesitate to accept it. 41
In return, Sarwar Khan was given two hundis that served as money orders, one for Rs. 85,000 payable at the Ludiana treasury, and another for Rs. 15,000 payable from the Peshawar treasury. 107
Social Security retirement benefits remain payable to expatriates who live any place except Cuba, Cambodia, North Korea, Vietnam, and certain parts of the former Soviet Union.
How the gains are determined in each country differs, and the amount payable is different as well.
Receivers of insolvent national banks and other financial institutions appointed by the Comptroller of the Currency with salaries payable from the funds of insolvent institutions, and the employees of such receivers.
Actually, the number of claims paid or payable is not yet large.
Britain, "says the New York World," the yearly interest payable is 1 for 262 dollars of property; but for America, whose property is very much less, it is 1 for every 101 dollars, or more than two and one half times larger than the debt of Great
We acquired the rig in 2007 and it was chartered to Seadrill on a long-term payable charter, where Seadrill was granted certain payment options first time in 2010.
And we have another loan which - of 300 million shekels which appears on the balance sheet in separate line which is term payable interest rates which is now about, which is now about 2% -
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.