from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not common; rare.
- adj. Wonderful; remarkable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. rare; not readily found; unusual
- adj. remarkable; exceptional
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not common; unusual; infrequent; rare; hence, remarkable; strange
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not common; not usual; infrequent; rare; hence, remarkable; extraordinary; strange.
- Synonyms Scarce, unusual, unwonted, unique, singular, queer. See common.
- Exceedingly; very: as, uncommon cheap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by an uncommon quality; especially superlative or extreme of its kind
- adj. not common or ordinarily encountered; unusually great in amount or remarkable in character or kind
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Now, this is what I call uncommon jolly," said Captain Bunting, sitting down on his saddle before the cheerful blaze, rubbing his hands, and gazing round, with a smile of the utmost benignity on his broad, hairy countenance.
"That right there is what we call uncommon valor," Myer said.
Not uncommon from the ideologically interested pews of academe.
It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results. - unknown
Again, PABA banned a specific and rare method chosen for the good of the woman and used almost solely in uncommon, often serious second-trimester abortions.
Good question - I'd call it uncommon, expecially as compared to Polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is seen in up to 10% of women and can also impact fertility.
Obama answers Rezko questions in uncommon detail ....
I swooned over the everyday ingredients in uncommon combination.
The bird is sometimes described as uncommon to rare, although in appropriate habitat it may actually be quite common.
Kristine found it somehow right that her boss had a name uncommon for women.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.