from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having qualities traditionally attributed to a man.
- adj. Belonging to or befitting a man; masculine. See Synonyms at male.
- adv. In a manly manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the characteristics of a man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having qualities becoming to a man; not childish or womanish; manlike, esp. brave, courageous, resolute, noble.
- adv. In a manly manner; with the courage and fortitude of a manly man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Humane; charitable; hospitable.
- Possessing the proper characteristics of a man; independent in spirit or bearing; strong, brave, large-minded, etc.
- Pertaining to or becoming a man; not boyish or womanish; marked by or manifesting the quality of manhood; suitable for a man.
- Synonyms Manful, etc. (see masculine); honorable, high-minded.
- In the manner of a man; manfully.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. possessing qualities befitting a man
- adv. in a manful manner; with qualities thought to befit a man
- adj. characteristic of a man
man + -ly (Wiktionary)