from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having qualities traditionally attributed to a man.
- adj. Belonging to or befitting a man; masculine. See Synonyms at male.
- adv. In a manly manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the characteristics of a man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having qualities becoming to a man; not childish or womanish; manlike, esp. brave, courageous, resolute, noble.
- adv. In a manly manner; with the courage and fortitude of a manly man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Humane; charitable; hospitable.
- Possessing the proper characteristics of a man; independent in spirit or bearing; strong, brave, large-minded, etc.
- Pertaining to or becoming a man; not boyish or womanish; marked by or manifesting the quality of manhood; suitable for a man.
- Synonyms Manful, etc. (see masculine); honorable, high-minded.
- In the manner of a man; manfully.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. possessing qualities befitting a man
- adv. in a manful manner; with qualities thought to befit a man
- adj. characteristic of a man
He likes manly desserts, what I call manly dessert, meaning, you know, dessert-dessert.
So too in the case of flattery we must observe and be on our guard against wastefulness being called liberality, and cowardliness prudence, and madness quick-wittedness, and meanness frugality, and the amorous man called social and affectionate, and the term manly applied to the passionate and vain man, and the term civil applied to the paltry and mean man.
He must make up his mind to lay aside what he calls his manly instincts and personal independence, and resolve to submissively obey all order of his superiors without a murmur, even though they are not stated exactly in accordance with the rules of syntax, laid down by Lindley Murray.
By registered post; and what I call a manly letter from Lord Harry.
It ain't what I call manly, -- not that longing after other folks 'money.
Now that's what I call manly, and you don't need sunglasses for that.
-- whether he should follow after that way of life to which you exhort me, and act what you call the manly part of speaking in the assembly, and cultivating rhetoric, and engaging in public affairs, according to the principles now in vogue; or whether he should pursue the life of philosophy; -- and in what the latter way differs from the former.
They brought a certain manly swagger, a virility that dazzled the other two groups and appealed to their deep need for dominance and control.
Unfortunately, or I guess fortunately (because the macho and manly is what women find attractive), men are macho and they aren't 'supposed' to feel those urges and soft feelings.
As something of a London scholar I can assure you that the notion is as ludicrous as suggesting that the author of "White Fang" was a cross-dressing hermaphrodite who buried his sexual shame in manly exploits.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.