from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling the heroes of literature, legend, or myth.
- adj. Having, displaying, or characteristic of the qualities appropriate to a hero; courageous: heroic deeds.
- adj. Impressive in size or scope; grand: heroic undertakings.
- adj. Of a size or scale that is larger than life: heroic sculpture.
- n. A line of heroic verse.
- n. Heroic behavior or action.
- n. Melodramatic behavior or language: "We trust the House . . . will come up with answers without all the political heroics” ( Atlanta Constitution).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to a hero or heroine; supremely noble
- adj. Courageous; displaying heroism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to, or like, a hero; of the nature of heroes; distinguished by the existence of heroes
- adj. Worthy of a hero; bold; daring; brave; illustrious
- adj. Larger than life size, but smaller than colossal; -- said of the representation of a human figure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or displaying the character or attributes of a hero; daring; intrepid; determined: as, a heroic warrior or explorer.
- Of or pertaining to heroes; suitable to the character of a hero; bold, daring, noble, or commanding in proportions, form, or quality: as, a heroic statue or monument; a heroic poem or symphony; a heroic enterprise; specifically, in art, larger than life: said of a statue, or a figure in a picture. See heroic size, below.
- Having recourse to extreme measures; boldly experimental; daring; rash: as, heroic treatment.
- Synonyms Gallant, Valiant, etc. (see brave), daring, fearless, dauntless.
- n. A hero.
- n. A heroic verse: most frequently used in the plural, sometimes sarcastically in the sense of bombast, or extravagant expressions of admiration or praise: as, to go into heroics over a picture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing extreme courage; especially of actions courageously undertaken in desperation as a last resort
- n. a verse form suited to the treatment of heroic or elevated themes; dactylic hexameter or iambic pentameter
- adj. having or displaying qualities appropriate for heroes
- adj. of behavior that is impressive and ambitious in scale or scope
- adj. relating to or characteristic of heroes of antiquity
- adj. very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale)
Sorry, no etymologies found.