from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or written in runes.
- n. The Germanic language of the oldest runic inscriptions from northern Europe, dating to between the third and sixth centuries A.D., and considered by some to be close to or identical with the putative common ancestor of the North and West Germanic languages.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or written using runes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a rune, to runes, or to the Norsemen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, consisting in, or characteristic of runes.
- Inscribed with runes.
- Resembling in style the work of the early civilization of the north of Europe.
- n. A distinctive style of printing-type.
- n. These types are of RUNIC face.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or consisting of runes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The letters used in old Icelandic and similar languages are called runic characters.
I'm not advocating necessarily getting rid of them entirely, but make it so that they can't sell stuff from champion mob drops, among other things. such as runic items in particular, which tend to go for ridiculous amounts of gold There should be a list of stuff which player-run vendors can and can't sell.
The ancient Slavonic when reduced to writing seems to have been originally written with a kind of runic letters, which, when formed into a regular alphabet, were called the Glagolitic, that is the signs which spoke.
On one side was etched the complete, sixteen-character short-twig runic alphabet or futhark, the style of which dates it to the earliest Norse settlements.
My study of the Elder Futhark has been eclectic, though I approach them from the old Icelandic and Norse runic poems as interpreted by Kate MacDowell.
The pattern of blue-green algae and the numinous wings of the Great Nebula in Orion and the runic scrawl of human chromosomes are stories.
The heart, the head, the life and the fate were all crucial concepts to her, just they didn't give up their runic braille quite as easily as the digital phrenologists claimed.
Tessa learned from the Codex that all Shadowhunters descended from an archangel named Raziel, who had given the first of them a volume called the Gray Book, filled with “the language of Heaven”—the black runic Marks that covered the skin of trained Shadowhunters such as Charlotte and Will.
The map sprang to life with all sorts of runic inscriptions and such.
But it was sort of interestingly nerdish on the shelf and full of pretty diagrams and seductive maps and lists of things and maps and really interesting maps and who could resist a book that has both a chart of the runic alphabet AND a map showing RAF ammunition drops to the WW2 Resistance?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.