American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A narrated account; a story.
- n. The art, technique, or process of narrating.
- adj. Consisting of or characterized by the telling of a story: narrative poetry.
- adj. Of or relating to narration: narrative skill.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to narration or the act of relating the details of a transaction or an event: as, narrative skill.
- Given to narration or the telling of stories and the recounting of incidents and events.
- n. That which is narrated; a connected account of the particulars of an event or transaction, or series of incidents; a relation or narration; a story.
- n. The art of narrating or recounting in detail: as, he is very skilful in narrative.
- n. Synonyms Account, Relation, Narrative, etc. See account.
- adj. Telling a story.
- adj. Being overly talkative; garrulous.
- n. The systematic recitation of an event or series of events.
- n. That which is narrated.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to narration; relating to the particulars of an event or transaction.
- adj. Apt or inclined to relate stories, or to tell particulars of events; story-telling; garrulous.
- n. That which is narrated; the recital of a story; a continuous account of the particulars of an event or transaction; a story.
- adj. consisting of or characterized by the telling of a story
- n. a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events; presented in writing or drama or cinema or as a radio or television program
“Hindostan,) the hero of the horrid narrative [Footnote: '_The hero of the horrid narrative_.”
“Hollins, for one, is sure further twists in the title narrative await.”
“The cause of love, perhaps of envy, were the beneficia, flumen aureum of the emperor; and the Latin narrative is confirmed by”
“Where the narrative is aimed to function mainly as an immersive Story, authenticity and verisimilitude may be held more important than even basic literary skills.”
“Where the narrative is aimed to function mainly as a conceptual exploration of a quirk's implications, we may expect to see less bolstering as the alterior reality is argued via that exploration; in some cases -- some future and ulterior realities, for example -- the fictive milieu may be argued directly from the start point of a recognisable mimetic milieu.”
“I also think that the nature of the narrative is a factor.”
“Thus, the revenge portion of the narrative is all the more satisfying.”
“Central to this narrative is the concept of the mistake, which Josipovici delicately deconstructs, until we reach the point where the mistake looks indistinguishable from what we might call a right decision.”
“So perhaps the most impressive and subtle part of the narrative is the recognition that our desire for things to be okay, and our tenacious insistence on resisting change are more problematic than the natural disasters themselves.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘narrative’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words to do with rhetoric--study of, history of, practice of, theory of
Orth, Fluccish, and English words that play a role in Neal Stephenson's Anathem.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
Elicityscapes. Re-re-running; get, put.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for narrative.