from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of depicting or portraying.
- n. A representation or description.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of portraying.
- n. The result of portraying; a representation, description, or portrait.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of portraying; description; delineation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of portraying; delineation; representation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a word picture of a person's appearance and character
- n. a representation by picture or portraiture
- n. representation by drawing or painting etc
- n. any likeness of a person, in any medium
- n. acting the part of a character on stage; dramatically representing the character by speech and action and gesture
portray + -al. (Wiktionary)