American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An image, especially a positive print, recorded by a camera and reproduced on a photosensitive surface.
- v. To take a photograph of.
- v. To practice photography.
- v. To be the subject for photographs: She photographs well.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A picture produced by any process of photography.
- To produce a likeness or facsimile of by photographic means
- n. A picture created by projecting an image onto a photosensitive surface such as a chemically treated plate or film, CCD receptor, etc.
- v. transitive To take a photograph of.
- v. intransitive To take photographs.
- v. intransitive To appear in a photograph.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A picture or likeness obtained by photography.
- v. To take a picture or likeness of by means of photography
- v. To practice photography; to take photographs.
- photo- + -graph (Wiktionary)
“It is a photograph of the original without any of that harshness which so often accompanies a photograph_. ”
“Without a second thought I thrust the portmanteau photograph into my jacket, leapt towards the bookcase and brought it crashing down between my discoverers and me.”
“As I turned, however, I noticed on the desk a portmanteau photograph in a tortoiseshell frame.”
“Near the centre of the photograph is the Wolfe Tone Bridge, and in the right middleground you can see part of the Spanish Arch. Here is the Spanish Arch from the other side, with a heron and some pigeons – the former a frequent visitor, the latter virtually resident:”
“The destruction and creation of her photograph is a very powerful image to me.”
“Zoe Paraskevas believes the animal in the photograph is a black panther.”
“On a much lighter note, the photograph is the first image I have seen of Addington.”
“Apparently only when a photograph is an actual record of "degrading" acts can they manage to call attention to what they can then identify as the "art" in photography, "libertine" though it may be.”
“When the photograph is a large, high-resolution map, chart, or conceptual diagram, individuals can add knowledge, ask queries, initiate discussions, about specific spatial locations on the map, chart, or diagram.”
“Next to the photograph is a work that presumably resulted from the performance: a canvas bearing a big blue footprint.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘photograph’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Sparkling words I love :3
"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."
words that are beautiful, whether because of sound, meaning, or both.
Stuff you take.
Looking for tweets for photograph.