from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of artwork, such as a painting or carving, that is placed above and behind an altar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a work of art suspended above and behind an altar in a church
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The painting or piece of sculpture above and behind the altar; reredos.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A decorative screen, retable, or reredos placed behind an altar, considered especially as a work of art.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a painted or carved screen placed above and behind an altar or communion table
altar + piece (Wiktionary)