from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a series of steps or tiered seats, as in an amphitheater.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a series of terraced steps or seats, as in an arena or an altar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any member like a step, as the raised back of an altar or the like; a set raised over another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a series of steps or seats raised one above another.
- n. An altar-ledge or altar-shelf; one of the steps, ledges, or shelves above and back of an altar, on which the altar-cross or crucifix, flower-vases, candlesticks, etc., are placed.
- n. A toothed chisel used by sculptors.
French, from Italian gradino, diminutive of grado, step, from Latin gradus; see grade.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)