from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A photograph taken with a small hand-held camera.
- n. An isolated observation: a sociopolitical snapshot of the electorate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A photograph, especially one taken quickly or in a moment of opportunity.
- n. A glimpse of something; a portrayal of something at a moment in time.
- n. A file or set of files captured at a particular time, capable of being reloaded to restore the earlier state.
- n. A quick, unplanned or unexpected shot.
- v. To take a snapshot of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a quick offhand shot, without deliberately taking aim.
- n. A quick offhand shot, made without deliberately taking aim over the sights.
- n. Act of taking a snapshot (in sense 2).
- n. An instantaneous photograph made, usually with a hand camera, without formal posing of, and often without the foreknowledge of, the subject.
- n. a brief summary or appraisal, especially one that describes the state of a situation at one particular time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sudden or quick shot, literally or figuratively; in photography, the instantaneous taking of a picture as with a detective camera, or with one of the many portable cameras.
- Pertaining to or taken by a snapshot, as a photograph; adapted to the taking of instantaneous photographs: as, a snap-shot camera.
- Hence, executed rapidly or sketchily.
- To take a photographic snap-shot of.
- To take photographs with a snap-shot camera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an informal photograph; usually made with a small hand-held camera
For example, look at the number of features that use the term snapshot in SQL Server 2005: snapshot isolation, database snapshots, snapshot replication, Snapshot Agent.
(For a 1: 38: 00 minutes video of The Fourth Kind, this snapshot is at about 6: 22 minutes)
(For a 1: 38: 00 minutes video of The Fourth Kind, this snapshot is at about 6: 10 minutes)
With a title snapshot of America it certainly doesn't represent the America I know.
For those who have not seen the identification chart for the Ivory Bill, follow the link (a snapshot is here for you as well).
Yeah, I know the snapshot is a couple of years old.
The following pic is a snapshot from the so-called actual documentary footage of the real Dr Abigail Tyler bieng hypnotised.
A snapshot from the doorstep of oblivion, the photo is a reminder that the game of single combat played by Rico and Mole, and by fighter pilots ever since the First World War, is the ultimate one.
Very few people take the time to appreciate the finer things in life, that snapshot is a little reminder of what we look forward to each spring when the snow melts.
Here's a snapshot from the day, courtesy of Peter Nicholas of the Los Angeles Times.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.