from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of paper with rows and columns for recording financial data for use in comparative analysis.
- n. Computer Science An accounting or bookkeeping program that displays data in rows and columns on a screen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sheet of paper, marked with a grid, in which financial data is recorded and totals calculated manually.
- n. A computer simulation of such a system of recording tabular data, with totals and other formulas calculated automatically.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a screen-oriented interactive program enabling a user to lay out financial data on the screen
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As the spreader wends its way through the fields, the amount of fertilizer sprayed is controlled by the computer (giving new meaning to the term spreadsheet).
Brings me back to the heady days of new software categories, when hundreds of column-inches in Byte were devoted to explaining what a spreadsheet is and why anyone would use it.
Boonton, your spreadsheet is extremely sensitive to the rate of pay increases.
The easy way to post your spreadsheet is to convert it to a PDF and post it that way.
One important thing about my spreadsheet is that each sheet includes not only past submissions but future ones.
It would work just like a built-in spreadsheet function except the call would go out over the net, run the procedure on the indicated server, and display the value it returns, formatted according to how the spreadsheet author says it should be formatted.
Speaking of Zoho, I was well pleased to hear that the Zoho spreadsheet is on its way.
However, the problem with a spreadsheet is if you have multiple people editing the same spreadsheet it can get very messy and thats exactly where the real time update ability on Google Spreadsheet comes to the fore.
Last night, I read a post somewhere explaining why an online spreadsheet is so much more difficult than an online word processor.
And a spreadsheet is one of those things that are made for collaboration.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.