from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the combined use of several media: a multimedia installation at the art gallery.
- adj. Computer Science Of or relating to an application that can combine text, graphics, full-motion video, and sound into an intergrated package.
- n.pl. The combined use of media, such as movies, music, lighting, CD-ROMs, and the Internet, as for education or entertainment.
- n.pl. The combined use of media, such as television, radio, print, and the Internet, as for advertising or publicity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the use of different media to convey information; text together with audio, graphics and animation, often packaged on CD-ROM with links to the Internet
- adj. of, or relating to this combined use of media
- adj. of, or relating to an application that can combine such media into an integrated package
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. transmission that combine media of communication (text and graphics and sound etc.)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In common usage, the term multimedia refers to an electronically delivered combination of media including video, still images, audio, text in such a way that can be accessed interactively.
Although Nokia is the biggest seller of smartphones worldwide, the same can't be said about the U.S. market, where it rarely partners with carriers to reduce the cost of its powerful yet expensive line of what it calls multimedia computers.
I started as a Arts student, played around in multimedia, and graduated as a software engineer.
Nicholas Negroponte, director of MIT's Media Lab, a leading think tank in this new world, remembers that back in the 1970s, a government agency gave him a grant on the condition that he remove the word multimedia from his proposal.
Alcohol brings new meaning to the word multimedia!
The National Film Board has embarked on an intriguing long-term multimedia documentary project called
Alcohol brings a new meaning to the word multimedia!
The software is a white-label multimedia album solution for operators that allows subscribers to easily create and maintain personal online albums for photos and videos, direct from their handset or web browser.
White label multimedia search provider Pixsy seems to have gone missing.
- White label multimedia provider Pixsy has announced a variety of new distribution partnerships today.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.