from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The top of a desk.
- n. Computer Science The background image of a display screen, on which windows, icons, and other graphical items appear.
- adj. Designed for use on a desk or table: a desktop telephone; a desktop computer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The top surface of a desk.
- n. A desktop computer.
- n. The main graphical user interface of an operating system, usually displaying icons, windows and background wallpaper.
- adj. Designed for use on a desk or similar piece of furniture.
- adj. Of an application, converted to be carried out on a personal computer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear
- n. the top of a desk
desk + top. (Wiktionary)