from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for recording minute intervals of time. The record is made by the power of a magnetic field, due to an electric signaling current, to turn the plane of polarization of light. A flash, coinciding in time and duration with the signal, is thus produced and is photographed on a moving plate.
- n. An instrument for the photographic recording of star transits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for taking photochronographic pictures. See photochronography.
- n. A picture taken by this method.
- n. An instrument for the observation of star-transits by photography.
- n. A chronograph in which the tracing or record is made by the action of a pencil of light on a sensitized surface.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.