from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that expounds or interprets.
- n. One that speaks for, represents, or advocates: Our senator is an exponent of free trade.
- n. Mathematics A number or symbol, as 3 in (x + y)3, placed to the right of and above another number, symbol, or expression, denoting the power to which that number, symbol, or expression is to be raised. Also called power.
- adj. Expository; explanatory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who expounds, represents or advocates
- n. The power to which a number, symbol or expression is to be raised. For example, the 3 in x3.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A number, letter, or any quantity written on the right hand of and above another quantity, and denoting how many times the latter is repeated as a factor to produce the power indicated.
- n. One who, or that which, stands as an index or representative.
- n. one who explains, expounds, or interprets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exemplifying; explicating.
- n. One who expounds or explains.
- n. One who or that which stands as an index or representative; one who or that which exemplifies or represents the principle or character of something: as, the leader of a party is the exponent of its principles.
- n. In algebra, a symbol placed above and at the right of another symbol (the base), to denote that the latter is to be raised to the power indicated by the former.
- n. A particular example illustrating the meaning of a general statement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- n. someone who expounds and interprets or explains
- n. a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
Latin expōnēns, expōnent-, present participle of expōnere, to expound; see expound.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)