from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of relying or the state of being reliant.
- n. The faith, confidence, or trust felt by one who relies; dependence. See Synonyms at trust.
- n. One relied on; a mainstay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of relying on someone or something; trust.
- n. The condition of being reliant or dependent.
- n. A person or thing which relies on another.
- n. Anything on which to rely; ground of trust.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of relying, or the condition or quality of being reliant; dependence; confidence; trust; repose of mind upon what is deemed sufficient support or authority.
- n. Anything on which to rely; dependence; ground of trust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of relying, or the state or character of being reliant; confident rest for support; confidence; dependence: as, we may have perfect reliance on the promises of God; to have reliance on the testimony of witnesses.
- n. Anything on which to rely; sure dependence: ground of trust.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. certainty based on past experience
- n. the state of relying on something
But for most schools the main reliance is on the standard how-to journalism textbooks.
Self reliance is dead with progressives and that is what is missing from any of the debates on this site.
It is not the job of the R commissioners to act as defense attorneys in reliance upon fact based defenses which may be (1) irrelevant, and (2) not provable.
Copyright owners are not merely conferring a benefit that they can withdraw at will; others act in reliance when they integrate music into their psyches.
He sued to recover money he donated to MHFM in reliance on its representations regarding its affiliation with the Order of St. Benedict, alleging fraud, negligent misrepresentation, unjust enrichment, and money had and received.
Your self-reliance is super and should be a great example to follow for other moms out there who want to make a difference.
Cutting medicare tomorrow would not be fair to seniors who have planned their retirement in reliance on medicare.
For example, a 2009 report from the Netherlands found that file sharing, partly in reliance on the personal use exception in Dutch law, has strong positive economic implications for welfare in the Netherlands over the short and long terms, substantially outweighing the loss of revenue by rights holders.
I think isolationism and US self-reliance is the only way to fix our economic woes.
As a result, Gant violations routinely led appellate courts to overturn convictions based on pre – Gant searches incident to arrest made in reliance on then-existing law.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.