American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who speaks or writes in defense of anything; one who champions a person or a cause, whether in public address or by literary means; one who makes an apology or defense.
- n. Specifically Eccles., a defender of Christianity; in particular, one of the authors of the early Christian apologies.
- n. One who makes an apology.
- n. One who speaks or writes in defense of a faith, a cause, or an institution.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who makes an apology; one who speaks or writes in defense of a faith, a cause, or an institution; especially, one who argues in defense of Christianity.
- n. a person who argues to defend or justify some policy or institution
- apology + -ist. From French apologiste. (Wiktionary)
“That which he describes as apologist was the ideal and not the real in his congregation.”
“An apologist is somebody that defends the actions of another.”
“Rab says: jwest thinks being a rape apologist is an actual job”
“An apologist is a person who justifies a specific ideology, belief system, set of behaviors, or approach.”
“The Drop Zone was a sponsor of Palin apologist and former radio host, Eddie Burke.”
“So a torture apologist is one who defends torture by argument.”
“C.S. Lewis 'influence as a popular Christian apologist is still formidable today -- his expansive public character has outlived the real man two generations after his death, and his life is still controversial -- more so now, since almost everyone who knew him well is dead.”
“This same individual has been a long-term apologist for John Howard's right winged government (assorted wars and warlets included).”
“On a separate front, IRA/Sinn Fein apologist and domestic violence specialist Ken Livingstone has been readmitted to the Labour fold.”
“The fact that you use the word apologist proves as well that you are an idiot!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘apologist’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words for those who commit particular crimes: i.e., bank robber, arsonist, etc.
Nouns to be used as descriptions while writing stories
Taisha GRE Bible
Words from the GRE Master List that I don't know.
Looking for tweets for apologist.