from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To make excuse for or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense.
- intransitive v. To make a formal defense or justification in speech or writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make an apology or defence.
- v. To make an apology or excuse; to acknowledge some fault or offense, with expression of regret for it, by way of amends
- v. To express regret that a certain event has occurred.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To make an apology or defense.
- intransitive v. To make an apology or excuse; to make acknowledgment of some fault or offense, with expression of regret for it, by way of amends; -- with for; as, my correspondent apologized for not answering my letter.
- transitive v. To defend.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make an apology or defense; speak or write in favor of some person or thing; offer defensive arguments.
- To make an apology or excuse; acknowledge or express regret for a fault: followed by for: as, he apologized for his delay in replying.
- To make or write an apology for; defend.
- Also spelled apologise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning
- v. acknowledge faults or shortcomings or failing
The same attitude that wants Obama to apologize is the same attitude that caused the white officer to arrest a black man in his own home.
The only person needing to apologize is the arresting officer.
September 10th, 2009 12: 12 am ET let John McCain apologize that old man likes it on his knees.
The only dem to apologize is Obama to the world and that was not his right.
The reason why Wilson had to apologize is because he disrespected the Office of the President of the United States by slandering him during a televised address to congress.
Sharron Angle's heartless comments, and her refusal to repudiate them and apologize is just further evidence that she's too extreme and dangerous to represent Nevadans in the U.S.
He didnt need to apologize until Palin apologize to wolves for shooting them from helicopter.
The American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors and Their Descendants, which represents about 80,000 families, said Iott's "failure to apologize is particularly shameful and desecrates the memory of all victims of the Nazis, Jew and non-Jew."
When the top of the second inning began, broadcaster Chip Caray said: We again apologize profusely for the technical difficulties we had back in Atlanta.
General, I John McCain apologize to you and the nation that you serve for being self centered in exploiting you and every member of the Armed Services.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.