from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.
- n. Formal argumentation in defense of something, such as a position or system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The field of study concerned with the systematic defense of a position, or of religious or occult doctrines
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That branch of theology which defends the Holy Scriptures, and sets forth the evidence of their divine authority.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of demonstrative or argumentative theology which is concerned with the grounds and defense of Christian belief and hope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of theology that is concerned with the defense of Christian doctrines
Apologetics apologetics comes from the Greek word for defense
Some Christian organizations involved in apologetics and countercult work describe themselves as discernment ministries.
It appears that those interested in apologetics are forced to allege Hitler privately hated Christianity in spite of his public pronouncements.
Genocide apologetics is as controversial as it gets, plus it reveals the dark roots of much of sci-fi writings.
Was Mike's post about RecA an exercise in apologetics?
Catholic apologetics is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
Despite the best apologetics from the Right, the Constitution still constrains what the President can and cannot do while prosecuting his ‘war on terror’.
Among the most active critics were practitioners of evangelical Christian "apologetics" -- speakers and writers who make their mission to actively defend their faith.
The linkages I see usually seem to be of the sort “you’ll never guess what she’s said now” followed by the usual apologetics from the usual suspects.
Despite the camouflage of speciously scientific terminology, the real raison d’Ãªtre of “creation science” apologetics is the defense of the fundamentalist interpretation of Genesis.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.