from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The theological doctrine of salvation as effected by Jesus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study or doctrine of salvation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A discourse on health, or the science of promoting and preserving health.
- n. The doctrine of salvation by Jesus Christ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A discourse on health; the art of promoting and preserving health; hygiene.
- n. That branch of theology which treats of the salvation of men through Jesus Christ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of Christian theology that deals with salvation as the effect of a divine agency
Greek sōtērion, deliverance (from sōtēr, savior, from saos, sōs, safe) + -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek σωτηρία (sōtēria, "salvation"), from σωτήρ (sōtēr, "savior"). (Wiktionary)