from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being divine.
- n. The godhead; God. Used with the.
- n. A deity, such as a god or goddess.
- n. Godlike character.
- n. Theology.
- n. A soft white candy, usually containing nuts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The property of being divine, of being like a god or God.
- n. A deity (a god, goddess or God).
- n. The study of religion or religions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being divine; the nature or essence of God; deity; godhead.
- n. The Deity; the Supreme Being; God.
- n. A pretended deity of pagans; a false god.
- n. A celestial being, inferior to the supreme God, but superior to man.
- n. Something divine or superhuman; supernatural power or virtue; something which inspires awe.
- n. The science of divine things; the science which treats of God, his laws and moral government, and the way of salvation; theology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being divine; deity; godhead; the nature of God; divine nature.
- n. [capitalized] God; the Deity; the Supreme Being: generally with the definite article.
- n. In general, a celestial being; a divine being, or one regarded as divine; a deity.
- n. That which is divine in character or quality; a divine attribute; supernatural power or virtue.
- n. The science of divine things; the science which treats of the character of God, his laws and moral government, the duties of man, and the way of salvation; theology: as, a system of divinity; a doctor of divinity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
- n. white creamy fudge made with egg whites
- n. the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth
- n. the quality of being divine
Let me give something that will lead each one to the knowledge of the divinity of every human soul, something that will lead each one to the conscious realization of _his own divinity_, with all its attendant riches, and glories, and powers, -- let me succeed in doing this, and I can then well afford to be careless as to whether the critics praise or whether they blame.
To maintain the obnoxious claim that only "your" version of divinity is real and everybody else's experience of God is delusionary only disses other people and pisses them off.
From this concept also comes the notion that divinity is both eminent (internal) and transcendent (external).
Is this because they are the so called “Chosen People,” the answer of divinity is one of speculation and cannot really be answered.
More likely, the divinity is too busy to bother, though.
We are not being taught to love a material world in which the immanent divinity is manifest.
The whole premise of needing an ‘organization’ to find divinity is not only idiotic, but inherently invalid.
It is sometimes called divinity fudge, as it is a textural cross between fudge and marshmallow, dense, light and smooth all at the same time.
And finally, all humans will understand that marriage is about teamwork, the teamwork of two souls who have created a holy team to do the holy work of life itself, which is the work of growth and the expression of divinity through the experience of unity.
Mention but the word divinity, and our sense of the divine is clouded.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.