American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Divinity; godhood.
- n. The Christian God, especially the Trinity.
- n. The essential and divine nature of God, regarded abstractly.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being God or a god; divine nature; deity; divinity.
- n. [capitalized] The essential being or nature of God; the Supreme Being in all his attributes and relations.
- n. A deity; a god or goddess.
- n. divinity or godhood, divine essence or nature
- n. God
- n. rare any deity or idol
- n. an admired or influential person or entity
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Godship; deity; divinity; divine nature or essence; godhood.
- n. The Deity; God; the Supreme Being.
- n. obsolete A god or goddess; a divinity.
- n. terms referring to the Judeo-Christian God
- From Middle English god + -head, first attested in the Ancrene Riuwle (ca. 1225); compare godhood. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English godhode, godhede, from Old English godhād : god, god; see god + -hād, -hood. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And as far as the term "godhead" - if by that you are referring to the trinity as a general whole, plenty of people can explain it..”
“Ballou's belief that humans stand in union with the godhead was a transforming theological concept and a hotly debated topic more than 200 years ago.”
“The godhead is the personification of the highest, the best, the most efficient, and the wisest.”
“When the godhead is a symbol of the qualities that inspire dread, and when the deity is the wielder of power, it is given the sex of those who wield real power on earth and who therefore inspire more dread than the members of the subordinate sex.”
“Inasmuch as the godhead is the symbol and embodiment of the highest, as a matter of course it is endowed with the sex of the rulers -- or at any rate the deities belonging to the dominant sex take the first rank.”
“The second appertaineth to the Son as to his godhead, that is to say in this, that he is God and it is such:”
“As Brigham Young explained, the Father in the godhead is the archangel Michael-Adam; he is the father of the spirits of those individuals who are born on this earth; he is the Father of Jesus 'mortal body; he is the Father to whom Jesus prays when Jesus is on earth; he is the angel / Father who appeared with Jesus to Joseph Smith in the sacred grove.”
“Ultimately, it wasn't until a few hundred years after Jesus died that he officially became part of the "godhead," a term nobody can explain.”
“But if the author was making out Jesus to be an equal member of the "godhead," he picked an odd way to do it.”
“Pfeiffer, with his shrewd stroke at the kernel of their faith in the symbol of the idol, had established a kind of godhead; and by his ferocious massacres had thoroughly cowed them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘godhead’.
Words from politics, news, and business
Mind or Mind Altering
( _mark, personal list, randomness )
noetic, entheogen, psychonautics, infinite, bewilderment, mystification, stupefication, enhanced, altered, perception, simulation, network and 212 more...
words looked up while copyediting for this magazine
Words and phrases from Chris Wooding's book, Poison.
Looking for tweets for godhead.