from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state, condition, or quality of being great; as, greatness of size, greatness of mind, power, etc.
- n. : Pride; haughtiness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state, condition, or quality of being great
- n. Pride; haughtiness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being great.
- n. Great degree, amount, estimation, importance, or the like: as, greatness of genius or devotion; the greatness of a service or an enterprise.
- n. Elevation of rank or station; power; dignity; distinction; eminence.
- n. Self-esteem; arrogance.
- n. Moral elevation; magnanimity; nobleness: as, greatness of mind.
- n. Force; intensity: as, the greatness of sound, of heat, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unusual largeness in size or extent or number
- n. the property possessed by something or someone of outstanding importance or eminence
If this greatness is to be achieved, it can only be done by a united nation made up of people who know and respect each other.
On the other hand, what we call greatness of mind is the object of another most of approbation, than superior understanding.
If anything, the greatness is more obvious because it's not all dressed up in some slick package.
It stems from a misguided perception that greatness is bestowed at birth and pours out onto the page like water, perfectly formed and written.
It would tell us that the celebration of national greatness is the celebration of our technological capacity to kill.
This country whose capacity for greatness is limitless cannot possibly also be the one that contains the most evil and socially-divergent people, can it?
Seattle Girls 'School and High Tech High are proof that learning greatness is possible, and can be successful.
Eleven score and thirteen years ago, a document was signed - it demanded greatness from a people and a place.
His greatness is also in the fact that he knew how to present Christianity to a wide public, made up of Christians and secular people.
In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.