from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The period of development in the uterus from conception until birth; pregnancy.
- n. The conception and development of a plan or an idea in the mind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The period of time during which an infant animal or human physically develops inside the mother's body until it is born.
- n. The process of development of a plan or idea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of wearing (clothes or ornaments).
- n. The act of carrying young in the womb from conception to delivery; pregnancy.
- n. Exercise in which one is borne or carried, as on horseback, or in a carriage, without the exertion of his own powers; passive exercise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bearing or carrying; exercise by being carried.
- n. The act or condition of carrying young in the womb from conception to delivery; pregnancy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the period during which an embryo develops (about 266 days in humans)
- n. the state of being pregnant; the period from conception to birth when a woman carries a developing fetus in her uterus
- n. the conception and development of an idea or plan
Late Latin gestātiō, gestātiōn-, from Latin, a carrying, from gestātus, past participle of gestāre, freqentative of gerere, to carry.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin gestatio. (Wiktionary)