from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The relationship resulting from affiliating one thing with another.
- n. A club, society or umbrella organisation so formed, especially a trade union.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Adoption; association or reception as a member in or of the same family or society.
- n. The establishment or ascertaining of parentage; the assignment of a child, as a bastard, to its father; filiation.
- n. Connection in the way of descent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Adoption; association in the same family or society; hence, consanguinity or kinship of feeling or character.
- n. Association in general; relation; connection; friendship; alliance.
- n. In law, the act of imputing or of determining the paternity of a child, and the fixing upon the father the obligation to provide for its maintenance.
- n. The fathering of a thing upon any one; the assignment of anything to its origin; connection by way of derivation or descent: with upon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of becoming formally connected or joined
- n. a social or business relationship
From French affiliation, from Latin affiliatio, noun of action from verb affiliare, affiliate, from aff-, combining form of ad, to, + filiare, verb formed from filius, son (Wiktionary)