from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that branches out or derives its existence or origin from a particular source. See Synonyms at branch.
- n. A branch, descendant, or member of a family or social group.
- n. Botany A lateral shoot from the main stem of a plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which shoots off or separates from a main stem, channel, family, race, etc.; as, the offshoots of a tree.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which shoots off or separates from a main stem, channel, family, race, etc..
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A branch from a main stem, street, stream, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a natural consequence of development
From off- + shoot. (Wiktionary)