American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Money or property bequeathed to another by will.
- n. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of religious freedom. See Synonyms at heritage.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Money or other property left by will; a bequest; specifically, a gift of personalty by will as distinguished from a devise or gift of realty.
- n. Anything bequeathed or handed down by an ancestor or a predecessor.
- n. A business which one has received from another to execute; a commission; an errand.
- n. Legation; embassy.
- To bequeath; assign as a legacy.
- To leave a legacy to.
- n. law money or property bequeathed to someone in a will
- n. Something inherited from a predecessor; a heritage
- n. The descendant of an alumnus
- adj. computing of a computer system that has been in service for many years and that a business still relies upon, even though it is becoming expensive or difficult to maintain
- adj. left behind; old or no longer in active use
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A gift of property by will, esp. of money or personal property; a bequest. Also Fig..
- n. A business with which one is intrusted by another; a commission; -- obsolete, except in the phrases
last legacy, dying legacy, and the like.
- n. (law) a gift of personal property by will
- From Old French legacie, from Medieval Latin legatia, from Latin lēgātum, participle of lēgō. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English legacie, office of a deputy, from Old French, from Medieval Latin lēgātia, from Latin lēgātus, past participle of lēgāre, to depute, bequeath; see leg- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Sabre, back from college after being enrolled in the study-abroad program, is upset his title legacy has been tarnished by a woman.”
“How can the term legacy be used for a man who supported the murder of 49 million babies since”
“BP also said it would separately pay Bridas Corp. $700 million to settle claims between the two companies and to terminate what it called legacy restrictive covenants among BP, Pan American Energy and Bridas Corp. These allowed Pan American Energy to participate in any of BP's activities in the southernmost areas of South America.”
“Either way, the legacy is a troubling one: he was, in one reading, willing to sell (or at least lease) his faith for political porridge, or he really believed his private beliefs could be quarantined from his political actions (Mario Cuomo, anyone?).”
“We probably won't hear much from him for the next five years, but his legacy is there.”
“Your college friend seems to have morphed into what I call a "legacy friend" a friend from the past with little currency in the present.”
“But the legacy is a two-tier economy that is only slowly eroding.”
“Fifa are more interested in legacy, which is possibly a euphemism for encouraging host nations to spend beyond their means on stadiums and facilities that quickly become white elephants.”
“What a strong woman and smart tool 'I know my legacy is my children.”
“But to claim you enhanced his legacy is a little much.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘legacy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Buzzwords of our time
random webdev lingo used primarily in computer programming.
( open list, randomness, technical jargon, geek speak )
ajax, user, admin, frontend, backend, database, sql, protocol, call, dom, layout, ui and 439 more...
mostly from magoosh
Very basic words for ESL students.
A Heidegger Collection - a log of logues
Looking for tweets for legacy.