from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The final result; the outcome. See Synonyms at effect.
- n. The central idea or point; gist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A concise summary.
- n. The final result, or outcome of something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Final issue; conclusion; the sum and substance; the end; the result; the consummation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Final issue; conclusion; end; consummation: as, the upshot of the matter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon
Earlier upshot, the last shot in an archery contest.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)