from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The central idea; the essence. See Synonyms at substance.
- n. Law The grounds for action in a suit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The most essential part; the main idea or substance (of a longer or more complicated matter).
- n. The essential ground for action in a suit, without which there is no cause of action.
- n. Resting place (especially of animals), lodging.
- v. To summarize, to extract and present the most important parts of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A resting place.
- n. The main point, as of a question; the point on which an action rests; the pith of a matter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An aphetic form of agist (which see).
- n. A resting-place; a couch.
- n. A lodging-place; a place of rest or halt in traveling.
- n. A beam: same as joist.
- n. The point on which an action rests; the substance or pith of a matter; the main point: as, the gist of an argument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
- n. the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
With the iPad app, the gist is the same -- free music based on your tastes.
I very strongly doubt I quoted him 100 per cent correctly, but the gist is there.
Substitute that loaded word "poor" and add something of your own choosing because all the characters in Darkmans are rich in many other ways but the gist is the same.
The letter will have full details but basically the gist is that there ` ll be a per Gigabyte overage charge dependent on plan with a maximum charge, for example here ` s the residential packages and overages,
To be fair, the main gist of the matter was how to learn to become a best-selling author and, to be candid, make money.
The gist is that Microsoft purchased a start up company that specializes in motion control.
The gist is that they thought they could get by with only six centralizers and that if there was any sign that the cement job didn't work they could run a test called a cement bond log that would show where there were gaps or channels in the cement and they could do a remedial cement job.
The gist is simple enough: Dienst chooses a fan film he likes, makes it available as a downloadable podcast, and announces on [...]
The gist is simple enough: Dienst chooses a fan film he likes, makes it available as a downloadable podcast, and announces on his blog what the latest flick is, complete with a small plot synopsis.
The overall gist is one you've heard before: science fiction is a forum where ideas can be discussed, science fiction often contains religious themes, etc.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.