from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point.
- n. An important event, as in a person's career, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stone milepost (or by extension in other materials), one of a series of numbered markers placed along a road at regular intervals, typically at the side of the road or in a median.
- n. An important event in a person's life or career, in the history of a nation, in the life of some project etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stone serving the same purpose as a milepost.
- n. An event or accomplishment marking a significant advance in an endeavor; a notable achievment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stone or pillar set up along a highway or other line of travel to mark distance in miles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stone post at side of a road to show distances
- n. a significant event in your life (or in a project)
Alas, our poor little 'inscription,' so far as I remember it, was not more criminal than that of a number on a milestone; in fact the whole adventure was like that of setting up an authentic _milestone_ in a tract of country
Analysts say the milestone is a “confidence booster” and “reinforces the growing belief on Wall Street that the recovery in the economy and markets remains on track.”
Congraulations Scott, I think this milestone is a testament to all your hard work.
An African Union official is hailing what he called a milestone for peacekeeping efforts in Darfur.
Mrs Clinton urged members of the group to abandon violence and rejoin society following bin Laden's death, which she described as a "milestone" in the war on terrorism.
Tunica County Planning Director Pepper Bradford said the last sections of the community will be opened sometime Monday in what he called a milestone for the roughly 225 households that are permanent residences in a series of fishing camps.
Even so, proponents of same-sex marriage celebrated the judge's ruling, taking to the streets of Phoenix to hail what they called a milestone in their quest for equal treatment.
An even more important milestone is that Wednesday will mark 5 big months since she announced her intention to quit as Alaska's Governor to become a full time blowhard!
And it should be a living document, updated everytime a major milestone is achieved.
A milestone is coming our way, and for once I can make note of it before it arrives.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.